Webwide Church
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Kevin
Admin
https://introvertedchurch.board-directory.net

Twisted Scripture : Jesus Never Mentioned Homosexuality Empty Twisted Scripture : Jesus Never Mentioned Homosexuality

Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:06 pm
An extremely controversial issue in our times, that even ten years ago, Christians mostly agreed was sin. Recently however, there has been a lot of misinformation and wrong thinking surrounding this topic, so let's answer the question then grab some bible verses to show our answer.

Now if the question were, "Was it recorded in the gospels that Jesus specifically called out homosexuality as sin?" That answer would indeed be 'no.'

However, if the question was, "Did Jesus ever reference homosexuality, and confirmed it as sin?" That answer would be yes. Multiple times in fact.

No you may say a reference is different and not substantial enough, but I will argue against it. We use references every day. If I reference the 'Golden Rule' or say someone was a 'Good Samaritan,' most would not need me to elaborate further on those. Many countries even reference the latter with 'Good Samaritan Laws!' If you argue that this doesn't justify giving Jesus' references any credence, you're likely being difficult and no amount of proof will change your stance.

If you accept a solid reference and wondering where and how he does so, then here it is.

The first understanding you must have is Jesus' target audience. My two previous references likely means nothing to tribal villagers in different jungles around the world. But Jesus was talking to Jews. At the time, all Jewish children had to memorize the Torah. Which we call the first five books of the Bible. (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy) This wasn't essential just for their religious practices like today, but their day-to-day living. Jesus frequently references it in his teaching, because he knew his audience would understand what he was talking about.

The second understanding we need, is about the law of Sexual Immorality. This is extremely important as it is something Jesus, the Apostles and Paul all reference quite frequently. We learn what sexual immorality in Leviticus, when God gave Moses the Law.

The chapter on sexual immorality in full.

You shall not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination. - Leviticus 18

So here we have a clear verse in the Law saying homosexuality is wrong. We have other references, in Genesis with Sodom and Gomorrah, before the flood and several verses written by Paul, but again, none by Jesus that directly signals out homosexuality. But now we know what "sexual immorality" is when referenced by Jesus, and indeed he does.

And he said, “What comes out of a person is what defiles him. For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.” - Mark 7:20-23

But I have a few things against you: you have some there who hold the teaching of Balaam,
who taught Balak to put a stumbling block before the sons of Israel,
so that they might eat food sacrificed to idols and practice sexual immorality.
- Revelations 2:14

But I have this against you, that you tolerate that woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess and is teaching
and seducing my servants to practice sexual immorality and to eat food sacrificed to idols.
I gave her time to repent, but she refuses to repent of her sexual immorality.
- Revelations 2:20-21

So we have three instances where Jesus, himself, calls out sexual immorality. Once in the gospels during his three years of ministry and to two of the seven churches in Revelations.

So if homosexuality is considered by God to be sexual immorality, and Jesus says sexual immorality is evil and sinful, then yes, Jesus does call homosexuality a sin.

If a daycare were to serve food and was given a list of a child's allergy, then when the child was dropped off by their parents, the parent reminds not to feed any of the allergen on the list, you can sure bet that if the child died or was hospitalized because the daycare, a court would not care that the parent didn't specifically mention each specific allergen when the parents dropped the child off.

There are dozens of versus that call homosexuality a sin. Before the Law was given, in the Law, Jesus' life, the teachings of the Apostles in Acts and Paul in the New Testament and even by Jesus again in Revelation. One thing to remember, however, that God doesn't differentiate from any other sexual sin. Lust, fornication and even adultery have become normal or even acceptable to Christians. But they are not acceptable to God. Paul calls sexual immorality the worst kind of sin. Not in God's eyes, but because of the depravity involved in sinning against your own body, instead of against someone else. And as with any other sins, we are indeed "born this way" as we are born to an earthly flesh, but we were not created this way. Struggling with homosexuality and sexual sin doesn't make you outside of God's reach. It simply makes you human in need of a savior for your sin. There's freedom from sin in Christ. And even if you never break the shackles of temptation here on this earth, know that your heavenly reward and perfect peace await those who resist temptation for the glory of God.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum